Monday, October 12, 2009

Story

I had heard of narrative theology before this summer. However, I became acquainted with narrative theology during a missional strategies course I took. It was here that I began to understand that life (the story we are in) does not just have meaning; it has purpose. And it was here that I began to understand what Victor Frankel spent years trying to convince despondent prisoners of; that it does not matter what we expect from life, but rather what life expects from us.

I think Israel divided shortly after Solomon's death for many reasons. However, all those reasons can probably be deduced to one; the Hebrews did not understand what Frankel did. They were chosen for responsibility, not privilege.

It is sadly common that marriages tend to struggle when the nest becomes empty. I am sure there are a thousand reasons this is the case. However, I have come across at least one that Lesley Ann and I are determined not to fall victim to. The story of our life together is not going to be our children. That may sound harsh but I believe it has the potential to make all the difference. God-willing, Howell (and hopefully others) will not glean from his parents that he is the center of the universe.

Does the story that I am writing with my life reflect the Grand Narrative? Is my family's story one that will invite Howell in as well as encourage him to write a great story of his own? And in the end, is what we are writing jiving with God's Mission? I sure hope so because I know God is still at work.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you have decided not to make your marriage all about your kids. My major is child dev. and family studies, I'm sure soon we will study how children can dominate everything within a family..how many kids are you guys going to have?

    ReplyDelete