Monday, May 4, 2009

Prayer

Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret. In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an evil spirit came and fell at his feet. The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.

"First let the children eat all they want," he told her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

"Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."

Then he told her, "For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter."

She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon gone (Mark 7:24-30).

I am sure there is a perfectly good explanation for why Jesus seems to liken this gentile woman to a dog. I could probably even postulate a guess. However, I am not sure any guess would make this exchange seem appropriate. But unless John is misremembering the details a bit, I am faced with dealing with it. The most interesting thing to me about this story is that it seems that the woman's faith changes Jesus' mind. No offense, Father Luther.

I took a very intensive class on the prophet and book of Isaiah last summer. In studying this major prophet, it was interesting just how many times God was described in human terms (his arm being strong, being filled with grief, being moved to tears, etc).

Is it heretical to suggest prayer is a bit fickle? Maybe so, but I would be lying if I said I understand how God hears and responds to my prayers. Does God have the cosmos rolling in a way that leaves us as mere actors in a play that has been written long ago (either billions of years or about 5000)? Or is God more like an author who only writes those books we read as children where when coming upon a pivotal point in the storyline you could choose which direction you would like the story to go and turn to that particular page? Or maybe God is a painter who has been working on a masterpiece since time began, and now he has handed us the brush (maybe we always had the brush). We are not going to know the answers to such questions until we stand before our Maker. Until then, I will continue to pray.

Oswald Chambers said that "prayer does not necessarily change things, prayer changes me, then I change things."

Isaiah's admonitions to the Israelites to live more righteous lives did not always fall on deaf ears. King Hezekiah was a tough, good leader who loved God and his people. As Hezekiah was about to die, he feared what would happen to his people without his leadership. He feared that he was about to die when there was so much work left to be done. He expressed this to Isaiah when Isaiah came to tell him that his time was up. As Isaiah left Hezekiah, God quickly turned him around to deliver a different message. Hezekiah had 15 more years to live.

Maybe everything is already planned out. But if you are not so sure. If you think that God heard Hezekiah and in a wave of emotion decided to let him live, you will not hear criticism from me.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, B. I wonder if a lot of the trouble we have in finding a metaphor that does justice to the way in which God's sovereignty works is beacuse of the matter of time. For us, there is a time (the past) in which we do not know what's ahead. Then there's a time (the present) when we experience first-hand what we had been looking forward to in the past. Then there is a time (the future... I can't help but think of Michael J Fox when I use that word) in which we look back on what happened.

    In all of three of these, there are HUGE questions that those who are mindful of the LORD's hand in history will ask: Does God know what's going to happen? Will my prayers affect the future? Did He intend for this? What is He trying to teach me by this? And on and on.

    Might we struggle to understand (or accept) how his sovereignty works because we are bound to a linear view of time... and He is not (at least I assume He is not)? We can't fathom how God could know what we are going to do and yet not determine it. And at the same time, we can't fathom how God couldn't know what we're going to do and yet still be sovereign.

    Could it be that his knowledge and his will operate both in the linear time spectrum that we experience and outside of it at the same time? We know from Scripture that He lives in the hearts of his people (Christ in you...), but I don't think Scriptures are as clear on whether God looks on time from outside of it... as if He were a school instructor with a timeline drawn on a whiteboard... aware of it all from start to finish, regardless of where the world currently finds itself on the line.

    For me, I find comfort in both views and am happy to not really know. Does He know everything about me past and present? Absolutely. Is He and will He always be with me? Absolutely. Does He have a good plan for my future and for the future of all creation. Absolutely. Does he know how many kids I'm going to have? Not sure. Would it make any difference to me if He did?

    Gotta run... I'm home sick in bed and Katie just brought me breakfast and Rooibos tea. :)

    ReplyDelete